The on-going impact of Covid-19 in New Zealand is being widely felt within our Pacific communities.
Last week, Auckland was moved to an alert level three with the resurgence of the virus in the community, while the rest of Aotearoa is at alert level two.
It is important to know support is on-hand if you need it, including foodbanks, financial assistance including the Wage Subsidy Extension, while the Ministry for Pacific Peoples has a range of Community Funds available to support individuals, groups and families.
For those located in Auckland, who need to access more food during the current level three lockdown, the following food banks are providing kai:
- Nga Whare Waatea Marae, Mangere - A drive-through food bank is operating weekdays at Nga Whare Waatea Marae at 31 Calthorp Close, Mangere from 10am-2pm until further notice. Bring ID. Wait in car and our kaimahi will awhi one whānau at a time.
- Auckland City Mission Foodbank - If you need a food parcel call ACM 09 303 9266 and speak to the Crisis Care team. You will then be given a time to collect from ACM distribution centre at 15 Auburn Street, off Boston road in Grafton. Everyone must take ID with them.
- Salvation army food parcels - Contact the Mt Wellington Salvation Army Community Ministry 09 379 7615 – or their local Salvation Army Community Ministry (ring 0800 53 00 00 to find your local ministry). You will be given a time to collect your food parcel.
- Presbyterian Support Northern - Call 09 309 2054 to arrange a pick-up at 8 Madeira Lane, Grafton. Strictly no walk-ins and collections are strictly between 11-12am Mon-Fri.
- St Vincent De Paul, Newton branch – Call 09 815 6122 or email – [email protected] and they can deliver a food parcel.
- Papakura Marae Foodbank - Open Mon-Fri 10am-2.30pm, 09 297 2036. Please phone to request a food parcel, someone will ring you back to do a phone interview, then food will be delivered. Only deliveries to Papakura and Manurewa areas currently.
- Orakei Foodbank - Call 521 5712 and leave message on voicemail with details of how many in family etc. Parcels are only delivered on Tuesdays and Fridays to Orakei, Kohimarama and Mission Bay.
- St Marks Church in Pakuranga are still open but only focusing on those in Pakuranga. You can contact them directly via their contact page on their website or emailing [email protected].
- Hills Church on Hillsborough Road can be emailed at [email protected] Please provide details on your needs and they will do their best to provide a food parcel. Hills Church has also offered to go shopping for those that cannot leave home due to self-isolation if needed.
Meanwhile, Community Testing Centres have been set up all around Auckland.
If you are experiencing symptoms of Covid-19, do not hesitate to get tested.
The Prepare Pacific website lists where to find the testing centres.
For information about Covid-19 alert levels, advice on travel, health and wellbeing, business and resources, visit the Unite Against Covid-19 website.