Tokelau Language Week
Te vaiaho o te gagana Tokelau
The 2020 Tokelau Language theme is ‘Apoapo tau foe, i nā tāfea i te galutau. Ke mau mai, ke mau mai’ which in English translates to, 'Never give up hope, even amidst chaos and much uncertainty. Stay united, stay strong'.
The theme “Apoapo tau foe, i nā tāfea i te galutau” is part of a traditional Tokelauan prayer, asking the people rowing a canoe to hold on dearly to the paddles and row in unison so we are not washed away by the tidal/big waves. “Ke mau mai, ke mau mai” is an encouragement to be strong and maintain rowing consistently/non-stop. This years theme was influenced by the events of 2020 and how the COVID-19 outbreak has shaped a new normal for the Tokelau community and everyone worldwide.
2020 Tokelau Language Week Poster
Tokelau Language Week goes digital
In response to COVID-19, the 2020 Pacific Language Weeks programme will host its celebrations online, which enables more people to learn and embrace the language, culture and history of Tokelau.
We encourage you to like/follow the below social media platforms which will have a range of content in celebration of Te vaiaho o te gagana Tokelau.
- The official NZ Tokelau Language Week Facebook page
- Ministry for Pacific Peoples Facebook page
- Pacific Aotearoa Instagram page
Help promote Tokelau Language Week at your church, workplace, school and community by downloading and sharing the below resources.
- Tokelau Language Week Poster
- Tokelau Language Week social media banner - Te gagana Tokelau
- Tokelau Language Week social media banner - English
- Tokelau Language Week email banner - Te gagana Tokelau
- Tokelau Language Week email banner - English
- Tokelau Language Cards (learning resource)
- Tokelau Language Week - National Calendar of Events