Private Secretary to the Minister - Wellington, Fixed term or Secondment 18 months
- Confident, thriving and ambitious Policy career growth opportunity
- Fast-paced, challenging but very rewarding to ignite and maintain positive and sustainable policy advice for our Pacific peoples
- Navigate the mechanics of government and develop strong networks alongside your Minister
A pivotal and critical role that supports our Pacific Peoples Minister, the Hon Aupito William Sio. Working as part of a supportive team you will help and support our Minister deliver outcomes for Pacific Communities that is both familiar and ever evolving in response to the changing currents of our Pacific communities. A wonderful opportunity for an ambitious developing Policy Analyst to sit alongside Ministers in a fast-paced environment that brings positive and meaningful outcomes.
Exciting time to join us
The Ministry for Pacific Peoples make a significant contribution to improve outcomes for Pacific Peoples. We bring the Pacific voice, perspective and understanding into the fabric of New Zealand government. We are the guardians and the caretakers of Pacific knowledge, culture, and identity, and we support and take stewardship over our Pacific communities and peoples. We have a key role in developing cross government collaboration and coordination of government’s Pacific investments.
What you will do in this role is:
- be available, accessible and supportive to enable our Minister to be well-informed and across all the Ministry’s work programmes – linking our Ministry into the Minister’s office
- provide confident, timely and credible advice to your Minister by working closely with our Ministerial Services, Policy and Research teams.
- organise and manage a very busy schedule where you will facilitate communications and ensure the right people have the right advice at the right time
- be flexible and know that priorities change but stay focused on our Lalanga Fou goals.
- manage the day to day relationships between the Minister’s office and the Ministry.
What you will bring to the role is:
- a solid understanding of the mechanics of New Zealand government with a policy background that has been in social policy or population-based policy would be ideal.
- a great team player approach – with an understanding of how policy and research can be provided into well written advice and briefing papers for your Minister.
- well demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationship with a range of stakeholders, including understanding different stakeholder’s motivations, and the ability to influence and persuade.
- great eye for detail and an intuition to recognise when your Minister needs further information or advice on topics – engaging with our team back at the Ministry.
- great written skills and ability to articulate clear and concise messages.
- alignment to our Pacific Aotearoa Lalanga Fou which brings strong values-based focus on culture and growth
Working for us
At the Ministry for Pacific Peoples, we offer attractive employment benefits including market salary, flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies. Whilst the work is challenging, you be rewarded by contributing to positive outcomes with a focus on better outcomes for our Pacific Peoples.
If you would like more information please email [email protected] quoting the position title in the subject. Applications will be reviewed throughout advertising and we may reach out to you if further information is required. Applications close on Sunday 20 September at 11.59pm.