Below are some frequently asked questions about the Tauola Business Fund. If you have a question that isn't answered here, please consult our Tauola Business Fund booklet, which includes an application timeline and examples of what the Ministry has funded before.
Alternatively, you can email us via [email protected].
Applications closed at 9am on Tuesday, 24 February 2023.
Please refer to our main fund page to see what supporting documentation you will need to supply as part of your application.
Yes, this fund is available for all eligible Paciﬁc businesses looking to achieve the aims of the Tauola Business Fund. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the tab “What’s not funded” here
The eligibility criteria requires that businesses be trading for at least 12 months.
Yes, businesses already accessing other government funding or grants from different agencies can apply for the Tauola Business Fund.
However, where businesses are current recipients of the Ministry for Pacific Peoples’ funding, they will not be eligible.
A business that is operating commercially for proﬁt (with a turnover of more than $60,000 per annum) where all proﬁts are directed or redirected towards the commercial operations of the businesses.
The Tauola Business Fund cannot directly create a new role or fund a salary as it is not for wage subsidies. Please see the Ministry for Social Development page for this support.
However, where a business is successful in obtaining funding for an asset and/or training, the Ministry expects that it will be enabled to hire additional employee/s in a current or new role.
Yes, if the application clearly demonstrates how the upskilling, training and/or education will contribute to the commercial operation of your business and aligns with the aims of the Tauola Business Fund.
Yes, if is it clearly demonstrated in your application how it meets the aims of the Tauola Business Fund.
Previously, Auckland was excluded from the first round of funding. However, this round is now open to the whole of New Zealand and there is no allocation towards speciﬁc regions.
As part of the Pacific Business Village, the Ministry for Paciﬁc Peoples funds a range of providers and networks to support Paciﬁc businesses.
For the list of current providers, visit the Pacific Business Village page and see the 'Providers and networks' tab at the bottom of the page.
No, the eligibility criteria requires limited liability or partnership businesses to have a minimum of 50% Paciﬁc ownership. Sole traders need to be 100% Pacific owned.
Applicants who are eligible will be required to provide two competitive quotes during the assessment phase (prior to applications going before a Panel).
Where an applicant is successful in securing funding, a contract will be sent to the applicant with details demonstrating the 85/15 payment split (the applicant will contribute 15% of the requested funding and the Ministry will pay the remaining 85%).
The contract will outline how the third-party will be paid directly by both the Ministry and successful applicant according to their amounts.
The Ministry for Paciﬁc Peoples will endeavour to provide guidance to unsuccessful applicants on other funding available.
As outlined in a previous answer, the Ministry funds networks and providers within the Pacific Business Village to provide support services to Pacific businesses.
All successful applicants are expected to deliver on agreed outcomes. Where issues arise with delivering on their contract, each situation will be assessed case-by-case.
Unfortunately, where a business does not meet the eligibility criteria within the timeframe provided, their application will not be progressed.
Subject to businesses providing required documentation on time, all third-party suppliers will be paid by April 2023.
If you have received funding from the Ministry, your contract will prevent you from applying for a similar fund as capital outcome agreements cannot run concurrently (e.g. successful Paciﬁc Regional Enterprise Fund, and Tauola Business Fund (round 1) recipients cannot apply for this round of the Tauola Business Fund).